Friday, November 11, 2011

Reaction for privacy in social media

This week’s topic on social media privacy is also my interest. For personal, I’m kind of concern of privacy in social media a lot. No matter on Facebook or Twitter, or other social media, I try to not release too much personal information and pay attention to my “good image”. I do this just because I feel unsafe when I use social media. I don’t know who is watching it and who will watch it in the future. So I want to try my best to keep it seeming good. However, I got more ideas about why we really really need more attention to our privacy in social media and re-concern what information we should never ever put onto our social media website.

The first reason we need to pay attention to privacy is that the information we put onto social media may release our individual privacy and affect our personal security. Our birthday day, home address, and some other information may be used to open account illegally. And the timely location we pointed on Foursquare or other social media may reveal where we are and cause troubles. The location information is more important if you are in bank dealing with money or in a hotel when you are on business trip. Be careful with this.

Another reason is that some “bad” personal information we post online may cause troubles on our jobs. For example, an indelicate photo in which we are drunk or some dirty words we complain. This is the reason why some people suggest we need at least two Facebook accounts—one for our friends and family; the other for business. Never link them and set up certain limit to which people can see it to hide the “bad image” away from public view.

Actually a few days ago, I saw one post about personal privacy from Chinese microblog. This post said he/she totally understand the happy feelings of parents being mom and dad. But he/she suggested not put babies’ information such as name, time of birth, date of birth, weight, or photos onto blog or microblog. This information might be used by human traders. Anyway, this tells the idea that personal privacy should be concerned by everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Fan, after doing research for my presentation I also found myself more concerned with privacy and social media. At the same time, I think that sometimes I approach this as a battle too big for me to handle. I may try to only upload decent material, yet, if someone wanted to hack into my account, I really think like there is nothing we can truly do. I kind of feel better doubting about social media platforms because of my "not trusting" nature, than trusting everything they say and do. i can't put a face to "them" on Facebook, therefore I can't really trust them. Even people you know for your whole life can disappoint you, so why not a big corporation? Keep it private!

    ReplyDelete