According to Wikipedia, foursquare is a location based social networking website based on hardware and mobile devices. “Users check-in at venues using a mobile website, text messaging or a device-specific application by running the application and selecting from a list of venues that the application locates nearby.” Simply to say, it is a social networking website that allows you to show where you are timely.
Well, from my point of view, I don’t like use this kind of social networking tools which base on the technology of tracking locations. I’m not sure whether facebook and twitter have this kind of function, but I’m quite sure Renren and Weibo have the function to show your current location with your every tweet. But I never use it. The reason for my dislike may sound stupid. I really think it is noisy as well as useless to point out where you are with your tweet. If you really really want your friends know where you are, you can call them or text them. There is no need for you to show your location to everybody. I know it becomes more and more difficult for us to keep our private in this modern life, but I really want to try as much as I can… It seems I’m trying to give myself over-protection.:)
But I’m sure this kind of location-based social networking websites should be very useful for marketing and advertizing. For examples, supermarkets and department stores can send discount information and advertisements to people who point out their locations nearby.

I also have issues with letting the world know where I am by using platforms such as Facebook or Foursquare. At the same time, I have done it in the past with Facebook. I think as long as you are with friends in a public place in the middle of a celebration, there is no problem with letting people know. On the other hand, it also worries me how the information might be used by other people or by some companies. I used to live in Colombia, and it intrigues me if people use this applications as much in places where security is an issue. Do you think you are thinking about your personal security and that is why you don't like these features?
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with you on this topic. I initially joined foursquare because my friend was raving about how cool it was and how it gives you certain perks and discounts if you check into a particular location. And while it was cool for the first week to get a free glass of wine for checking into a certain restaurant, the tradeoff was just not worth it to me. For a free glass of wine, I am broadcasting to the world and advertisers where I am and what I like to do? No thank you. Social media like this makes me feel like I'm in George Orwell's 1984: Big Brother is watching you...
ReplyDelete